Our philosophy is based upon Dr. Maria Montessori’s vast understanding of children and their natural tendencies to explore and become independent.
Montessori is an approach to working with children that is carefully based on what has been learned about children’s cognitive, neurological and emotional development. In early childhood, Montessori students learn through sensory-motor activities, as well as working with materials that develop their cognitive skills through direct experience: seeing, hearing, tasting, smelling, touching, and movement.
Children are innately curious about the world around them, and the classroom is a place where the child is able to move freely and choose from a multitude of fascinating materials to interact with, in a peaceful and serene atmosphere. Dr. Maria Montessori believed that all children are unique and learn at their own pace. Children should always have the opportunity to advance and develop according to their pace. Maria Montessori believed that instead of forcefully teaching a child, teachers should instead become “directors” and “quietly follow the child” to understand what interests the child and where their strengths and weaknesses lie. By observing the child carefully, our teachers are able to create learning experiences and cater a curriculum based on the individual child to encourage real learning and growth, giving children the ability to be active participants in their educational journey.
At Montessori School of San Francisco, each child progresses at his or her own pace – free to choose from work with a world of vivid “sensorial” materials and tools of “discovery.” Our dedicated staff encourages independent thinking and individual learning.
We work toward the enhancement of each child’s awareness of and participation in the “wholeness of life.”
Our teaching method is based on respect of the individual child and their timetable for growth and development.
- Awaken a love of learning, a passion for knowledge, and a joy of creativity in each student.
- Provide a peaceful, secure, prepared environment where children long to be.
- Help children discover their abilities, find their independence and develop their self confidence.
- Foster a strong sense of self, respect for others and an ability to work as part of a group.
- Develop a strong academic foundation and a repertoire of life skills in each of our students.
- Create and provide programs which will heighten a child’s development through the processes of exploration and discovery with concrete materials, while nurturing a natural curiosity and a love of learning.
- Provide a reliable source of care, support, information and training for families.